Spatula, Spoon and Saturday

Food Fabulous Food: Recipes + Restaurant Reviews + Travelling + Melbourne

How to Boil an Egg in the Microwave

with 36 comments

soft-boiled egg with mi goreng

(soft-boiled egg with mi goreng)

I know this sounds really simple but humour me for a second. I still get people telling me ‘omg! you cannot possibly put foil and egg in the microwave!’

There are only about 3-4 things I make in the microwave (in fact I only make boiled egg in the microwave when there is only one egg or two eggs involved – anymore than that I use the stove), otherwise the poor thing just sits there as a defrosting machine.

IMG_5266

Everyone knows that putting a whole egg into a microwave is a bad idea. I, of course, tried it. Simply because it’s harmless explosion fun* (I mean let’s face it, how often do you get harmless explosion fun! Very messy though).

The idea behind boiling an egg in the microwave is that the foil covers the egg. The foil acts as protective layer which the microwave frequency does not penetrate. So when you put in a foil-wrapped egg in a cup of water, the microwave will heat up the water and not the egg itself. Hence, it takes more or less the same time to boil an egg in a microwave compared to boiling it on the stove top. The main difference is the water heats up a little faster and there’s less washing up to do.

egg covered in aluminium foil

So cover your egg individually and completely with aluminium foil. Do not leave any part of the egg shell exposed.  Try to make the foil as smooth as possible. Cover it with water in a microwave-safe mug.

egg in microwave

Put the mug in the microwave on high. 8-10 minutes for hard-boiled, 6-7 minutes for medium and about 5 for soft-boiled egg.

IMG_5281

(and we are done)

perfectly cooked eggs

(perfectly cooked egg)

Important: you must watch out that the egg always remains covered with water. There’s a possibility that there water will slosh out of the mug leaving no water. You might need to either turn the heat down or keep topping up the water. It depends on much water is in there and what container do you use. Microwave rice cooker is fabulous. Mugs are sometimes not so great.

* Do not try this at home. Because if you don’t know what you’re doing, it wouldn’t be harmless explosion fun. Although I still strongly recommend browsing through YouTube for all microwave-related fun. Watch. Don’t repeat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Written by Kat

June 3rd, 2009 at 9:03 am

Posted in Egg

36 Responses to 'How to Boil an Egg in the Microwave'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'How to Boil an Egg in the Microwave'.

1. The foil will cause sparks dumb ass !!!! :@:@

Jimmy

16 Jun 09 at 7:28 pm

2. feel free not to try then, eh?

spatulaspoonandsaturday

16 Jun 09 at 7:31 pm

3. some people…anyway…this is fascinating!! i’ll have to get brave enough to try it, but the idea has tons of merit. :) (loving wandering through your blog!)

cricket

16 Jul 09 at 5:33 am

4. i have to admit it took me quite a while to actually try it after reading about it a few years back. but what reassured me was that my mum’s microwave manual has some recipes that involves using foil to protect part of the food that you don’t want cooked by the microwave so i thought i might give it a go. and it worked.

thanks for visiting :)

spatulaspoonandsaturday

16 Jul 09 at 11:18 am

5. Wanted to try boiling the egg that way, but got real scared. Not very brave at all. I have seen someone place food in the microwave at work with foil covering it, and the microwave exploded and the kitchen was badly burnt. Firemen had to put out the fire. Although that happened about 15 years ago, I have never forgotten it.

Marcia

18 Aug 09 at 11:27 am

6. dunno. maybe old microwave? i was just reading the office’s microwave’s manual today and they recommend using foil for a few things.

spatulaspoonandsaturday

19 Aug 09 at 7:07 pm

7. [...] There’s a couple clips of egg explosion in a microwave on YouTube, but none I’ve seen even compare to what we saw in our second go…perhaps because there was no shell to soften the explosion. In any case, I don’t think we’ll be trying that again…or will we? [...]

8. Just tried it with HUGE success!! I knew that if you put foil in the microwave UNDER WATER then it is ok – so wasn’t scared to try it! Had THE MOST PERFECT egg!! I hate cooking boiled eggs so this has really changed my LIFE!! Seriously!! Any tips on cooking 2 together? same times? longer?? (mine is a newer (but cheap) microwave and even when the foil was fully submerged no sparks!!)
    THANKS!!!!

AllieG

28 Jan 10 at 9:26 pm

9. Thanks for the tip but for health reasons, it’s good to keep in mind that cooking with aluminum is inviting alzheimer’s into your door.

Amy

7 Apr 10 at 9:23 am

10. So may be wrap the egg in cling wrap first then wrap in tin foil?

ion

23 Apr 10 at 9:33 am

11. I must admit, i was scared to try this but gave it a go and i worked perfectly!

Marlene

8 Jun 10 at 2:17 pm

12. http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=200137&documentID=99&pageNumber=1
    “There is circumstantial evidence linking this metal with Alzheimer’s disease, but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely.”

Also, Aluminum is pretty much insoluble (because it is prtected by a layer of oxide). Furthermore, the egg is surrounded by a shell; designed to protect it from environmental contamination.

So, over all, I think your concern is unwarranted.

Oji

12 Jul 10 at 5:47 pm

13. Also, there are significant amounts of (naturally occurring) aluminum in various foodstuffs: tomatoes, onions, garlic and many spices. So you probably ingest more aluminum from your spaghetti sauce than you do from the cookware. There are also high levels of aluminium in tea and coffee, both of which are linked to a reduced incidence of Alzheimer’s.

Oji

12 Jul 10 at 5:50 pm

14. it perfectly worked!!!!!!

apurv

27 Aug 10 at 10:22 pm

15. no need to be rude

nin

15 Nov 10 at 9:33 am

16. Genius! And you need not worry about sparks, since the foil is surrounded by water, which cannot critically ionize at the temperatures created by an average microwave.

Richard

29 Dec 10 at 6:35 am

17. You are a genius. It worked perfectly.
    Thank you!

Arturo

26 Jan 11 at 2:19 am

18. The aluminum-Alzheimers link has been discredited:

Gretchen

4 Mar 11 at 7:29 am

19. [...] a link to how to boil a perfect egg in microwave, using foil…. Apparently it works but I was not [...]

20. What do youknow? It worked!

Yvette

24 May 11 at 3:17 pm

21. Amazing, two kids enjoying their boiled eggs right now. But the most nail biting 8 minutes. Phew – it worked, success!!!

Jen

29 May 11 at 9:34 am

22. You should have mentioned whether the water should be pre-boiled or not prior to adding the egg.

Just had to reboil some water and put my opened under-done egg back in the foil which is a bit messy.

Good method but needs refining.

beebop

12 Jul 11 at 7:45 pm

23. Just tried this and worked perfect!!!! I used a large pyrex cup and pre-heated the water for one minute, then added egg for a full 8 minutes… thanks for sharing :-)

24. At last the perfect boiled egg,ive tried lots of ways,but never perfect like this way, i only have microwave for cooking.thank you.

john

24 Sep 11 at 5:41 pm

25. bring water to a boil in microwave oven .remove container, put egg in the container and let it sit for
    five min. perfect boiled egg and not hard boiled

terry

10 Oct 11 at 2:15 am

26. Just tried to do this using a coffee mug. But the bouyancy of the egg (even when it was wrapped in foil) continued to float to the top of my mug full of water which meant foil was exposed. Unless I weighed it down with something, it continues to float to the top. How did anyone avoid this?

ksinc

12 Dec 11 at 8:19 am

27. Thanks a lot.. your idea saved me from Empty belly !!!

aKASH

24 Dec 11 at 4:36 am

28. I put foil covered items in the microwave frequently. So I was brave enough to try this and it worked. When putting foil covered food in the microwave you have to put it in a paper bag and only use the bag once.

Alecia

12 Jan 12 at 2:20 am

29. Worked like a charm! I actually tried it after getting over my initial fears. Eggs taste great and there were no sparks!

Paul

17 Jan 12 at 5:17 pm

30. THANK YOU! I hate boiling eggs on the stove (i’m lazy and don’t want to stand there for 10-15 mins) and was very skeptical about trying your method but it WORKED! Oh my god, did it work! After 9 intense minutes the microwave produced a hard boiled egg!

I recommend microwaving the egg for the minimum amount of time needed to make the whites hard then letting it sit in the hot water to continue cooking for a couple minutes to make the yolks firm.

Great article!

Senic

7 Mar 12 at 1:41 pm

31. Eggs was completely raw after microwaving. So much for breakfast. I guess he (husband, at work) could still scramble it, if he wants.

Bonnie

13 Apr 12 at 12:01 am

32. Ksinc- whether an egg floats is a test of whether it’s off or not. If it floats it’s probably best not to eat it!

Dylan

16 Jul 12 at 8:36 am

33. Just tried this. I used boiling water from the kettle to start the process, medium size egg, microwave at 60%, 5 mins. Left for one minute and ran under cold water. This resulted in a perfect soft boiled egg which was a great mid-morning snack at work!

Adrian

14 Aug 12 at 8:51 pm

34. @ksing
    if your egg floats it’s too old. fresh eggs don’t float. older eggs have air inside the shell.

Susan

21 Oct 12 at 8:47 am

35. This is the way I boil my eggs all the time. No sparks. No exploding eggs.

Lachlan

22 Oct 12 at 6:32 pm

36. I have used this method many times. I wrap 2 eggs individually in foil. I use a 4 cup measuring cup filling it to the 3 cup level. I then microwave on high for 10 minutes. When the microwave ends I leave the eggs in the water for about an hour. I get what I consider perfect hard boiled eggs.

Gene